Job/House Search Update

Lots going around here lately. I haven't had time to blog much.

As I wrote before, I took a seasonal, part-time job at Sears because it was the only offer I had. I started a few weeks ago. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either. Does that make sense? After 3 times of working with someone, they had me scheduled to work alone this week on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. First thing Tuesday morning, I started making mistakes and having to call for supervisors. When my immediate supervisor finally came around at lunch time, I told her that I really wasn't comfortable being on my own. She graciously understood and sent someone over to work with me the rest of the day. Jessica was awesome and she taught me a lot.

On Tuesday, I had a call from one of the staffing agencies I applied with. They had a position for a medical transcriptionist open. I told her that I didn't have experience or training in medical transcription. She relayed that to the administrator, but he said he was still willing to give me a try. I went for the interview yesterday morning. The job is in a cardiology clinic, so the terminology will be minimum. Whatever terminology there is, it will be repeated over and over again. It's not like a general practitioner who is making different diagnoses on throughout the day. It will be the same diagnoses and medicines over and over again.

When I went to lunch yesterday, I had a message from the staffing agency to call them to report on how the interview went. I called and started talking about the interview and ended by saying, "I'm not really sure how I did." Kaytrina said, "Well, you must have done well, because you got the job!"

I was so excited! Especially when Kaytrina mentioned the fact that I can spend the holidays with my family; I won't have to work the day after Thanksgiving, etc. I start the job on Monday. When I got back from lunch, I was more nervous about telling my supervisor that I had another job than I was when I interviewed for the job! I will finish out my shift today and I won't have to go back there again, except to shop! :-)

Now, for the house search update. Laikyn and I looked at another round of houses on Monday. We looked at about half a dozen and there was only one that we want Michael to see. It's has really cute curb appeal and the inside is nice, except the kitchen. It isn't horrible, but it would need updating eventually and it doesn't have a dishwasher or pantry. We would have to buy a refrigerator.
It has a breakfast area that we could use as an office and add more storage there, but there are a lot of windows that would hamper how much storage we could add. (I'm not complaining about the windows, though!)
The price is very tempting.
It has a full unfinished walk-out basement that would allow Michael plenty of workshop space and we could store stuff down there. I'm just so tired of stairs. I really would prefer something that is all on one level.
The biggest negative is that it's only 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.
It's so charming, though. It's definitely my style. It has a nice porch that wraps around one side from the front door, which is slightly off-center. Laikyn and I sat on the swing out there and it was so nice!
We would need to add privacy fence across the back of the property and also replace some stairs out the back door. There's an above-ground pool, which we've already experienced and don't really want again. We can always sell it like we did with the one here last summer.
It's in a central location in town.
It has a one-car detached garage that would need siding added to it. They are in the process of siding the house, so they made side that as well.
We'd have to pull up carpet in the bedrooms, but there are hardwoods under it. Not sure what condition they are in.
The bathroom has a jetted tub/shower combo. Nice!
I have some things in my mind that I want to check when we go back tomorrow to look at it with Michael. I want to try to imagine the rooms without all their furniture and put my pieces (especially storage cabinets) instead. They have really massive furniture; we don't. The bedrooms are both 14x14, which is a good size. I just don't know if I could fit my office/crafting stuff in our bedroom too.

After we look at that one, we are going to look at one that Laikyn and I looked at when we first started this process. Michael said he didn't want to be near the hospital, but I will now be working near the hospital. I could walk to work from this house if I had to, which may be nice since we are a two-car family with three people working. It may be too far on the other side of town, though, and not centrally located enough for us.
However, I have already been thinking about this house again the last week or so before I got the job at the cardiology clinic. Since we looked at the one I wrote about above and it only has one bathroom, I started thinking about this one again. It also only has one bathroom. It has more space, though, inside. It has covered attached parking. It has hardwoods under the carpeting as well. It has a nice size kitchen (still would need updating eventually). The kitchen has something I have ALWAYS wanted -- a double drainboard porcelain sink. (Both my grandmothers had those and I just LOVE them.) The kitchen has room to add more cabinets, both upper and lower. It doesn't have a dishwasher, but all the other appliances stay. It has a laundry room right off the kitchen and then in that same area, there is a huge room that just needs shelves to turn into a walk-in pantry!!! I'm salivating just thinking about it.
When Laikyn and I walked through the front door of this house and entered the living room, I got goosebumps. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I just keep thinking about the house and how that happened when I walked in the door and how it hasn't happened since.
When we first looked at it, we thought of ways we could add a bathroom. The space is there to do it right off the dining room in a room that the woman used as her crafting space. We also thought about turning the dining room and the craft room into a master suite and moving the dining room to the bedroom that the homeowner uses as a sitting room right off the kitchen. None of this would have to be done before we move in. It could all be done down the road if we want to. We may find we can live with only one bathroom and leave everything just as it is.
The house doesn't have a basement, which is a plus for me. It has a completely fenced backyard. It does lack on workshop space. There is a small metal shed in the back and that's it.
It may be too close to the neighbors for Michael's taste. On the plus side for him, it has a fig tree. My husband LOVES figs.
The price is better than most we've looked at, though.

Okay, folks! That's the rather long update. I'll try to post on the results of our Friday showings over the weekend.

Comments

I am so glad you were able to get the other job! How great.

Sounds like your house search is coming along. I know if I got goosebumps walking into a house and had it on my mind alot - it would definately be worth taking another look at!

Popular posts from this blog

Hooked on House Tours Blog Party

God's Extravagant Provision

Tatted Bookmarks